Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Godspell by David Greene (1973)

What an endearing little musical this is. More simple than most Jesus movies and more sound than Jesus Christ Superstar. Godspell takes the Biblical book of Matthew and puts it in the context of 1970's New York. Somewhere between a normal Jesus movie, Hippies and The Lost Boys (of Peter Pan fame, not the vampires of the 1980's Corey's) mixed in with some of the best movie musical music I've heard in a long time.

For fans of movie musicals this is right near the top of the list. It is about the life of Jesus, but it treats his teachings as teachings not as commands and merely suggests that maybe this is a better way to go. For fans of theological and Jesus movies, its near the top of this list as well. It is very articulate in its discussion of Jesus and a lot of the dialogue comes straight from The Gospel of Matthew.

Well worth the watch, and if you can't find it in the local video store it is available in parts on YouTube.

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

Oh dear, I'm afraid you've lost me with this one. I never could stand GODSPELL. I'm a fan of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, though. And I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber; JCS is literally the ONLY thing he did that I like. But as far as GODSPELL, I just could never get into it. I haven't seen it for 20 years, though so we can never be sure. I might watch it tomorrow and love it! You never can tell if my initial reaction to it won't change upon re-examination.